Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Peachy Keen

yum.
Last weekend I went to the farmer's market alone, toting both kids.  Usually, Hubby and I do this together, and its hard at best to coral both bored kids who want to run around and play - alone, its nearly impossible.  Because of this I bought myself a present, some beautiful, fresh peaches.  I ate a bunch of them earlier this week, and was left with four bruised peaches.  What to do?  Peach tart? Pie? Salsa?  I decided on a peach galette.  Its a rustic tart, made with a pastry or pie crust that is folded up over the edge of the fruit to make a basket to hold the cooked filling.  I am not going to give you a pie crust recipe.  Mine is terrible, and if you can make your own, do it, or buy some, either way.

Peach Galette

1 pie crust, or pastry crust
4 peaches
1/4 c blueberries (or other berries, your choice)
1/4 c honey or white sugar
1 pinch of cinnamon

On a flat sheet or in a pie pan, lay out your uncooked crust.  Wash and cut up your fruit.  If you are feeling fancy, cut the peaches into pretty wedges and pinwheel them around the crust.  If you are me, make a pile in the center of the crust.  Sprinkle the blueberries onto the peaches.  Drizzle the honey over the fruit and then sprinkle the cinnamon over the fruit.  Fold the pie crust up over the edge of the fruit, making a basket.  Bake at 400F until the crust is brown and flaky and the filling is bubbly.  It took mine about 30 minutes. 

This would work with any combo of fruit, use whats in season and available.  Since its supposed to look rustic, you don't need to be fussy.  Serve with some whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!
bad picture, good tart

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! Oops, drooled on the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried vodka in your pie crust? I've got a recipe from Cook's (disclaimer, I've only made it once see Aug 20 post on TIME! :) but it's supposed to be fairly foolproof and tasty. LMK if you want it!

    ReplyDelete