Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Into The Woods


This week is going to be a challenge. I HATE camping, and yes, I know that hate is a strong word. The strength is why I am using it, it so perfectly sums up my feelings about sleeping in the woods. I could go into my reasons, but you don't need to hear me whine. Lets just say that growing up in the country was enough camping for me. Ever. Regardless, I love Hubby more than words can express, which is why I am submitting myself to this "recreational" torture. He has been asking for 6 years, and since I am not pregnant, or caring for a newborn, I no longer have an excuse. It was fun while it lasted.

Regardless of where we spend our "vacation" we still need to eat. I have decided not to compromise on the food front, so if that means toting my santoku knife into the boonies, so be it. I pity the bear that wanders into my site. Standard camping fare seems to be hot dogs, potato salad, and things that come in cans. This won't do, while I give you that there are few better things in the world than a hot dog cooked over a wood fire, beans and potato salad aren't food in my book. So - lets cut to the chase. You are being exiled to the forest. You are sad. Lets pack some chocolate.

The best brownies ever - adapted from a Dave Lieberman recipe

12 T butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 T water
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
3/4 c cocoa powder
1/2 c flour
1-2 c chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips, whatever sounds good)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 9 by 13-inch pan with butter. Beat the 1 1/2 sticks butter and the sugar together in a large bowl until blended. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then stir in water and vanilla. Sprinkle the salt and baking powder over the mixture, then mix in. Do the same with the cocoa. Finally, stir in the flour until just blended. Stir the chocolate chips into the batter thoroughly. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the center is set, the edges look a bit crusty, and the top of the brownies start to crack a little. Cool completely before cutting into squares.


Yes, these brownies have more chocolate and sugar in them than flour. That's just part of their charm. They are perfect for emotional eating. If you really hate camping, put one inside a s'more. I bet its good.


No comments:

Post a Comment