Monday, July 12, 2010

Pizza Sauce


Apparently my pizza itch hasn't been scratched yet, and since I visited the Cheese Guy again on Saturday, today seemed like a good day for some pie. Since I also found some beautiful tomatos at the farmers market, I decided to try and make some homemade pizza sauce. I have never done this, so I decided to scour the internet for recipes. I was dissapointed, because most of the recipes I found started with "1 can of tomato sauce...." I have tomatos, in actual tomato form, so it was time to get creative.

Meg's "I don't know how to make pizza sauce" pizza sauce.

2 large ripe tomatos
2 - 3 cloves of minced garlic
about a T of chopped fresh basil and oregano (to taste)
1 t salt
1 t pepper
3 T tomato paste
1 T sugar (optional)

Simple right? I started with the whole tomatos, and tossed them into a pot of boiling water. This makes the skin pop off. Pull them out, rinse them in cold water, and peel off the skins. Then, smoosh the tomato innards with your hands until you get a smooth goopy pile of tomatos, either in a pot or skillet . Add the garlic, herbs, s + p, and simmer on low for a bit, to get the tomatos cooked, and to reduce out some of the water. At this point, my sauce looked pretty wet still, so I added the tomato paste. I whisked it all together, and it tasted great! Some people might like the sauce a bit sweeter than mine, so if you do, slowly add the sugar and taste as you go. Adjust the seasoning and you are done! This made enough for about 2 large pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment