Sunday, July 18, 2010

Stealing from Chain Restaurants


Not too long ago, Hubby and I went out to dinner at a local chain restaurant. I had this great rice, and I have been dying to make it ever since. I am not really in the mood to be sued and with my luck it would probably happen, so I am not identifying said restaurant.

Brown Rice with Cranberries, Carrots and Onions

1 large onion
2-3 cups of brown rice (I used instant)
1 medium carrot
1 cup of dried cranberries
3 cloves of minced garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper


Peel and grate the carrot, and mince the garlic. Chop the onion into small pieces. Get the water started for the rice according to the package directions. Put the rice and the cranberries into the water and cook the rice as directed. While this is happening, saute the onion in a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and for the last two minutes add the garlic. Trust me, don't overcook the garlic, it gets nasty and bitter if it burns. When the rice is done, add the grated carrot, and the cooked onion and garlic. Stir it all together, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Throw a few "uncooked" cranberries on top and serve.

This is a great, fresh tasting recipe, and its a good side for chicken, or any summer meal. Its also stupidly easy, which in my book, makes it a keeper. Enjoy your rice, and enjoy "sticking it to the man" by making your own version of restaurant food.

No comments:

Post a Comment